情态动词 modal verbs
1.--Is John coming by train? --He should, but he ____ not. He likes driving hi
s car. (2002高考题） A. must B. can C. need D. may 2.It has been announced that candidates(候选人) ____ remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected. (2002上海高考题） A. can B.will C. may D. shall 3.--I heard they went skiing in the mountains last winter. (2002北京高考题） --It ____ true because there was little snow there. A. may not be B. won’t be C. couldn’t be D. mustn’t be
can could may might shall should must will would ought to
have to dare (daren’t) need (needn’t) used to
I daren’t ask her for a rise. 我不敢请求她加薪. How did you dare to tell her that? I wonder whether he dare stand up in public. I don’t know how she dares to wear that dress. Do you need any help? I wonder whether he need send it immediately. I need hardly tell you that the work is dangerous. The garden doesn’t need watering at the moment. You needn’t finish that work today.
可兼做行为动词的情态动词：need 、 dare 情态动词 (+动词原形) 行为动词
1.无人称和数的变化; 多用于肯定句; need 2.尤其用于： (sb.) need to do *否定句及疑问句中; dare to do *在if/whether之后; . (sth.) need to be *或与hardly, never, no one, nobody连用; done dare 3.常以needn’t 和daren’t (sth.) need doing 的形式出现; 4.dare有其过去时dared.
判断正误: How dare you say such a thing? How dare you to say such a thing?
He daren’t to speak English before such a crowd, did he? He daren’t speak English before such a crowd, dare he?
Nobody need to be afraid of catching the disease.
Nobody need be afraid of catching the disease. These dishes need be cleaned carefully. These dishes need to be cleaned carefully.
These dishes need cleaning carefully.
注意对need问句的回答: --Need I finish the work today?
--Yes, ________________. you must
No, ________________. you needn’t
No, ________________. you don’t have to
--Shall I tell John about it? --No, you __________. needn’t (don’t have to)
--Must we do it now? --No, you __________. needn’t (don’t have to)
1. You must be Mr Smith----I was told to expect you here. 2. He must have known what we wanted. 3. We may have read the same report. 4. He can’t have slept through all that noise. 5. There’s someone outside----who can it be? 6. What can they be doing? 7. These pills might help to cure your disease. 8. You could be right, I suppose.
表示推测——情态动词的重要用法. 情态动词 肯定的推测 对将来 对现在 对过去
+ V. must/should 常见must be 可能的推测 + V.
+ V. + have done + be doing
+ V. + have done + be doing 可以用not表示“可能不” + V. + be doing + V. + be doing + have done
+ have done
may 1. I don't know where she is, she _______ be in Wuhan. must be marking 2. At this moment, our teacher ________________
our exam papers.
must have rained 3. The road is wet. It ________________ last night.
must have been looking 4. Your mother ______________________ for you.
may (might) have been hurt 5. Philip ________________________ seriously in the car accident. 菲利普可能在车祸中受了重伤. 6. ---Linda has gone to work, but her bicycle is still here. may (might) have gone ---She _____________________ (go) by bus. 7. Mike ________________ his car, for he came to can’t have found
work by bus this morning.
高考考题: B 1. I thought you _____like something to read, so I have brought you some books. A. may B. might C. would D. must
D 2. Where is my pen? I ____it.
A. might lose B. would have lost C. should have lost D. must have lost B 3. I didn’t hear the phone. I ___asleep
A. must be
C. should be
B. must have been
D. should have been
4. ---There were already five people in the car, but they managed to take me as well. ----It ____a comfortable journey D A. can’t be C. mustn’t have been B. shouldn’t be D. couldn’t have been
5. It’s nearly seven o’clock . Jack ___be here at C
A. must B. need C. should D. could
不同的“肯定”程度可按下列层次排列： He is at home. (事实) He must be at home.（非常肯定的推断） He could be at home.（很可能） He ought to be at home.（很可能） He may be at home.（仅仅可能而已） He might be at home.（或许, 非常不确定） He might not be at home.（也许不在家） He may not be at home. （比might可能） He couldn’t be at home.（很可能不在家） He can’t be at home.（一定不在家） He isn't at home.（事实）
3. shall 和 will 的多种意义的区别。
4. 情态动词短语的使用。 5. 虚拟语气中情态动词的使用。
1. 表示能力、许可的情态动词的用法。 表示能力: can, could, be able to *be able to 能用于各种时态。 can / could 只能表示现在或过去的能力。 *was / were able to : “设法做成某事” 相当于 managed to do sth. succeeded in doing sth.。
A 1. A computer ______ think for itself; it must be told what to do. A. can’t C. may not B. couldn’t D. might not
2. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly D but everyone ______ get out. A. had to C. could B. would D. was able to
3. They will ______ run this machine on their D
own in three months.
A. can B. could C. may D. be able to
A 4. That big cinema ______ seat 2,000 people. A. can B. should C. ought to D. is able to
表示许可: may / might, can / could * might, could 比较委婉, 一般多用于疑问句. * can, may 表达的语言比较随便. * 在以could, might 表示征询对方意见 或表示请求时，回答应相应使用can, may.
5. — Could I borrow your dictionary?
C — Yes, of course you _______.
6. — Might I watch TV after supper? A — Yes, you ________. A. may B. must C. might D. can
部分情态动词的否定式是情态动词中的考点 之一。 mustn’t 不准, 禁止
没必要 ( = don’t have to )
may not 不可以; 可能不
shouldn’t 不应该 ( = ought not to )
C 7. You ______ return the book now. You can keep it till next week if you like. A. can’t B. mustn’t C. needn’t D. may not B 8. Johnny, you ______ play with the knife, you ______ hurt yourself. A. won’t ; can’t C. shouldn’t ; must B. mustn’t ; may D. can’t ; shouldn’t
9. --Will you stay for lunch?
--Sorry, _____. My brother is coming to see me. B
A. I mustn’t
C. I needn’t
B. I can’t
D. I won’t
10. --May I pick a flower in the garden?
C -- ________.
A. No, you needn’t B. Not, please. C. No, you mustn’t D. No, you won’t
3. 情态动词：shall, will 的多种意义:
shall / will+ 动词原形: * 均可表示将来。 过去时为 should, would.
* shall 可表示必须、命令、 警告或征询意见.
* will 可表示意愿、常出现的动作、在疑问句
11. He shall be punished if he disobeys. ______
如果他不服从, 就要受到惩罚. will 12. We are not going to quarrel at all if you ____ only let me speak.
只要你让我说话, 我们根本就不会吵架. B 13. --Sir, ____ he go or stay?
--Let him go. A. will B. shall C. might D. could
14. The door _______ open. won’t
这门经常打不开. D 15. Ronald ______ stay in his small garden for a long time every day in the past. A. could B. might C. should D. would 16. You _____ have the book after I read it. shall 我看完以后一定把这本书给你.
4. 情态动词短语的使用: would like to do… would rather do… would rather + 从句 would prefer to do... had better do...
改错: 1. Would you like having some tea? Would you like to have some tea?
2. I’d prefer going to the lecture this evening. I’d prefer to go to ...
3. I’d rather you to go to the meeting. … you went to ... 4. He would rather to die than to give in. He would rather die than give in. 5. You’d better to have your hair cut today. You’d better have ...
needn’t ought to
情态动词考题: 1. Put on more clothes. You C with only a shirt on. A. can B. could C. must
be feeling cold
2. "Must I drive to his house and pick up the children?" "No, C ." A. you shouldn't C. you needn't
B. you might not D. you mustn't
3. We didn't see Tom at the meeting yesterday. He B it. A. mustn't have attended B. cannot have attended C. needn't have attended
D. would have not attended
4. We A play chess than bridge. Some of us
don't know how to play bridge. A. had better B. would better C. would rather D. had rather
5. There is someone knocking at the door. it be Tom? A. can B. must
C. should D. ought to
6. Two year ago, my husband bought me a bicycle.
If you live in town, it is often faster than a car and you
worry about parking. B. may not D. don't have to
A. must not C. should not
copyright ©right 2010-2020。