Futuroscope—excitement and learning
A Futuristic Building
Futuroscope has many activities: 'Race for Atlantis', 'Astratour', 'T-Rex', '
Children World', and 'The Mysteries of The Lost Temple' .
What are the three times and three places that Futuroscope lets you travel to?
Past Time Present
Future Place Earth Under sea
Listen and tick the experiences visitors can have at Futuroscope.
( ) A. taking a journey deep into space, to the end of the solar system, and be pulled into a Black Hole. ( ) B. taking a trip to Brazil to experience surviving an airplane crash in the jungle. ( ) C. going with famous divers to the bottom of the ocean and seeing mysterious, blind creatures that have never seen the sunlight. ( ) D. car racing or skiing on some of the most difficult mountains in the world. ( ) E. meeting face to face with a dinosaur. ( ) F. living on the other planets.
Choose the correct answer
1. What is Futuroscope? A. a theme park in America. B. a theme park that uses the most advanced technology to take people out of the earth and the present time. C. a science and technology-based theme park that provides people with extraordinary experience without leaving the earth and the present time. D. a theme park that provides only fun and excitement.
2. Which of the following is true? A. Most of us will go to the bottom of the ocean or to the edges of the solar system. B. Future theme parks allow people to see and do things without danger but with much money. C. In the future theme parks, there are learning centers for people to try scientific experiments and learn what must be done to prepare for a flight into space or an undersea trip, and to understand why we could not live on the other planets in our solar system. D. Future theme parks are places for fun and excitement but not for learning.
Read the passage again and finish the chart on page 39.
Crash in the jungle
Hands-on learning Scientific experiments
Car racing skiing
Create a map of what you think futuroscope looks like.
Car racing and skiing on the mountains Meet a dinosaur
A trip to the bottom of the ocean
A trip to Brazil
A trip into space
Discovering use structures (P37)
3. Write out the original words.
unchangeable adj _______ change dislike v __________ like possible impossibility n _________ unfriendly adj__________ friend look overwork v ______________ misunderstanding n ____________ understand athletic adj______________ athlete read misread v ________ translator n _____________ translate
4. Fill the table with the different forms of the words. Noun
admission imagination settlement equipment attraction
admissible admissibly imagine imaginative imaginatively settle settled equip equipped attract attractive attractively
Task 2: Grammar: Word formation 1. compounding: Find the compound nouns in the reading passage
Compound word free-fall, old-fashioned, with a hyphen steam-engine Compound word whichever, whatever, wherever, southeastern, put together
indoor, outdoor, craftsmen, horseback
Compound words separated
(1) n+n air conditioner 空调 blood pressure 血压 income tax 所得税 credit card 信用卡 (2) adj + n central bank 中央银行 fast food 快餐
solar system 太阳系 remote control 遥控 (3) v-ing +另一词 washing machine 洗衣机 driving license 驾驶执照 (4) 其他方式 by-product 副产品 editor-in-chief 主编
2. 合成形容词 (1) 过去分词或带ed词尾的词构成。 absent-minded 心不在焉的 grey-haired 头发灰白的 (2) 动词的ing 或另一词构成 long-suffering 长期受苦的
water-ski 滑冰 overeat 吃得太多 baby-sit 看孩子 empty-handed 一无所获的
Derivation: add letters to the
beginning or the end of a word. 1) 前缀: (1) dis-: disagree, dislike, disappear (2) in-(il-, im-, ir-): incorrect, impossible, irregular, (3) un-: unhappy, unable, unfit,
(4) non-: nonstop, nonverbal (非语言的) (5) re-: rewrite, review 2) 后缀:
(1) 构成名词：-er, -ese, -ist, -ian,
-ment, -tion, -ness, -th. buyer, Chinese, socialist, musician agreement, collection, illness, truth
(2) 构成形容词: -al, -an, -ful, -ing, -y, -less national, American, careful, exciting, cloudy, useless (3) 构成动词: -fy, -is (z)e: beautify, realize (4) 构成副词: -ly: badly (5) 构成数词: -teen, -ty, -th thirteen, sixty, twelfth
Conversion: change the part of
speech of a word. (1) v—n : charge (v)—charge (n) (2) n—v : hand (n)—hand (v) (3) adj—v: clean (adj)—clean (v) (4) adv—v: down (adv)—down (v) Task 3: Exercises 2&3 (P36) Exercises 1&2 (P71)
1. Make compound words after the models. A: part, long, passer, film, short, well, cold, baby, get, low, world B: by, known, time, maker, wave, famous, sitter, term, together, lying, blooded Model: part + time = part-time
2. Fill in the blanks with the words above. 1) It’s a good idea to start a _________ part-time job to make extra money. 2) It’s necessary to use a __________ short-wave radio to pick up the program. 3) Walt Disney, the great __________, film-maker was born in Chicago in 1901.
4) The Dead Sea is very _________, low-lying at
around 395 meters below sea level.
5) We’re having a little ___________ get-together to
celebrate his birthday.
6) They often perform in the streets for
the passers-by _________.
7) I’m sure you will be well-known __________ soon.
3. Make compound words after the models. Model: bed + clothes = bedclothes A: book, boy, sea, fire, over, under, friend, sun, how, court, day, wide B: mark, side, burnt, friend, light, yard, fighter, fighter, ground, coat, ship, spread
4. Fill in the blanks with the words above. 1) The fire lasted about 4 hours before the __________ firefighters could control it. 2) At school she formed a close _________ friendship with several other girls. 3) They decide to spend their holiday at the _______. seaside 4) He put on a hat and ________ overcoat before he went out.
5). Lucy enjoys travelling by
____________. underground That’s how she goes to work every day. 6). The children are playing happily in
the courtyard _________.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。