Module 4 Carnival
Review of the passive voice.
Who wrote this book? Mark Twain wrote this book. was written by =This book __________ Mar
What is the woman doing?
She is feeding a dog.
is being fed by her. = A dog ___________
When shall we use the passive voice?
1.Use the passive voice when you want to emphasize the receiver,rather than the doer of an action. e.g. William led the invasion. The invasion was led by William. 2.Use the passive voice when you do not know the doer of an action. e.g. These books are written for teenagers. 3.Use the passive voice when you want to be polite, or when you do not want to identify the doer of an action. e.g. You are cordially invited to the party.
Put the following sentences into passive voice. 1.In the late 1970s, students revived the tradition. In the late 1970s, the tradition was revived by students. 2.Today, people in Venice celebrate carnival for five days in February.
Today,carnival in Venice is celebrated for five days in February. 一般现在时的被动语态：am/is/are+过去分词
3.The government will build more roads to solve the problem of traffic jams.
More roads will be built to solve the problem of traffic jams
by the government. 4.He said that they would build the bridge next year. He said that the bridge would be built next year. 一般将来时的被动语态：will be+过去分词 过去将来时的被动语态：should/would be+过去分词
5. Wait a moment. My mother is cooking lunch.
Wait a moment. Lunch is being cooked by my mother.
6. People were hunting the wolf everywhere last year.
The wolf was being hunted everywhere last year. 现在进行时的被动语态：
am/is/are +being + 过去分词
was/were + being + 过去分词
7. People have done a lot to protect the environment.
A lot has been done to protect the environment. 8. They had put out the fire before the firefighters arrived. The fire had been put out before the firefighters arrived. 现在完成时的被动语态：has/have+been+过去分词 过去完成时的被动语态：had+been+过去分词
时态 一般现在时的被动语态 一般过去时的被动语态 一般将来时的被动语态 过去将来时的被动语态 现在进行时的被动语态 过去进行时的被动语态 现在完成时的被动语态 过去完成时的被动语态
动词形式 am / is / are + 过去分词 (p.p.) was / were + p.p.
shall / will + be + p.p.
should / would + be + p.p. am / is / are + being + p.p. was / were + being + p.p. has / have + been + p.p. had been + p.p.
Observation: Are there any differences between the two
groups of sentences?
?He told her a long story.
?She was told a long story. ?A long story was told to her. ·Mother bought me a new coat.
· I was bought a new coat.
· A new coat was bought for me.
give, show, hand, send, pay, lend, pass, tell, write, bring, sell, offer, cause, wish, teach, buy等常接双宾语,变被动语态时应 考虑加上介词for或to。
Observation: Can you find out anything special around the sentences below? 1.The flowers smell sweet. 2.The food tastes nice. 3.That sounds very good. 4.Silk feels soft. 5.The cloth washes well. 6.The poem reads smoothly. 7.This kind of rice cooks more quickly than that kind. 8.This book sells good.
系动词 + adj. 主动表被动 某些和well, easily等副词连用的不及物动词, 如read, wash,
clean, cook, close, cost, lock, look, open, sell, write, wear等。
Rewrite the sentences in the passive voice.
1. Tourists from all over the world visit Venice. 2. Trained artists make many of the carnival masks. 3. Rich people gave parties every day for a month. 4. The Portuguese and the Spanish took carnival to South
5. In London the West Indian community created the Notting Hill Carnival.
6. Today millions of people enjoy Carnival. 7. We will teach this song on the radio. 8. They have returned the books to the library. 9. They had finished the work before they went home. 10. They are planting trees at this moment. 11. They were cleaning the windows at that time.
1. Venice is visited by tourists from all over the world. 2. Many of the carnival masks are made by trained artists. 3. Parties were given by rich people every day for a month. 4. Carnival was taken to South America by the Portuguese and the Spanish. 5. The Notting Hill Carnival was created by the West Indian community in London.
6. Carnival is enjoyed by millions of people today. 7. This song will be taught on the radio. 8. The books have been returned to the library. 9. The work had been finished before they went home. 10. Trees are being planted at this moment. 11. Windows were being cleaned at that time.
Complete the passage using the correct form of the verbs. 1. were held 2. celebrated
9. has become
10. is celebrated 11. is known 12. climbs 13. flies 14. is watched
3. was decided 4. wanted
5. was followed 6. was discovered 7. brought 8. were added
15. are fired
1. (2012 · 北京高考) —Have you heard about that fire in the market? —Yes, fortunately no one ______. A. hurt B. was hurt C. has hurt D. had been hurt
2. (2012?安徽高考) After school we went to the reading-room
to do some reading, only to be told that it ______.
A. was decorated C. had been decorating B. had decorated D. was being decorated
览室读书，结果被告知阅览室正在装修。由句子的谓语动词 went 可知，动作发生在过去，而装修正在进行，故需要使用 过去进行时；it指代the reading-room，与动词decorate之间是 动宾关系，故需要使用被动语态，所以应该使用过去进行时
Make a summary of the use of the passive voice.
Wisdom in the mind is better than money in the hand. 胸中有知识，胜于手中有金钱。
copyright ©right 2010-2020。