Unit 2 Growing pains
What does “Growing pains” mean
Pains of Exams
Pains of Private
Pains of Friends
Have you ever see
n the TV play Growing pains?
Look at the following pictures.
Its stories were about ordinary family problems. The program was so popular in the USA The program was about a family of five who lived on Long Island near New York. The father ，the mother and their children.
1.Do you think that your parents try to force you to spend your spare time doing things you don’t like? 2.Can you describe an experience with your parents that was not pleasant?
? Teaching aims:
? 1. Students learn to read a play about a big fight in an American family; ? 2. Students are to know and develop the reading strategy—reading a play; ? 3. Students are to learn to read another play by using the reading strategy above.
Reading a play
Reading a play can be very different from reading a normal text. Most of a play a dialogue is in the form of _________ _________ — this is because plays are written to be spoken aloud _________ _________ _________ . To really understand a play, you should read the dialogue aloud _________ _________ _________ . Remember to pay attention to _________ _________ . the instructions
Skimming and Scanning
1.Who are the main characters in the play?
Eric, Daniel, Mom and Dad.
2.Why do the parents get angry?
The room was a mess.
3.What really happened to their dog ,Spot?
Spot was ill.
True or false
1. The boys do not expect their parents to come back so early. T 2. Spot, the dog, looks full of life.
3. Daniel’s parents still think of him as an adult.
4. Eric does not want to explain to their parents. F 5. The boys didn’t clean the house because they went to the clinic. T
6. The mother thinks the father should be stricter with Daniel.
1. What are the boys doing when their parents come home? They are playing with a soccer ball. 2. How does the room look when the parents arrive home? The room is in a mess. 3. Why are the parents angrier with Daniel than with Eric? Because they left Daniel in charge. 4. What is the emergency that Eric wants to tell his parents about?
Spot was sick and they had to take him to the clinic.
5. What does the father want to do with Daniel?
He wants to punish Daniel.
Mom and Dad Eric
Things they do Feelings
just coming back from vacation playing soccer surprised and at home frightened
sorry staying in another room angry
excited disappointed angry
Please read Act Two carefully and fill in the form. Characters Things they do Feelings
Daniel Eric Mom Dad
expressing angry his anger comforting his calm brother talking about the sorry and regretful things that happened today stubborn(固执)
Read the play further and choose the best answers. Listen to the tape carefully
1. What is mainly discussed in the play? A. Whether parents should trust their children. B. What parents should do when they are in trouble with their children. C. How parents should spend their vacation. D. How children should live at home alone with their parents away.
2. The reason why the dog walks slowly to the couple is that the dog_________. A. ate too much to walk fast B. was seriously ill C. just returned from a long walk and was tired D. was given nothing to eat 3. The reason why the house was so dirty is that _________. A. Spot pulled the dirty out of the trash can B. the kids forgot to clean the room up C. the parents were back one day earlier than expected D. the kids had no time to clean it..
4. What would probably happen in the
following act ? B A. Dad and Daniel will quarrel again. B. Mom and Eric will help Dad and Daniel to get rid of the misunderstanding . C. Eric will not play football any longer. D. Daniel will desert(抛弃) the dog.
A review of the Play
What happened What Dad and Mom saw to the money The dog was so tired and Because of the illness hungry. The money for dog dog’s ___6___, food is _____2______. Daniel and Eric missing/gone There were garbage and spent the money When Dad taking waste papers all over the ___7___ him to and Mom clinic room. The room was the ____8____. In arrived at in ___3___ a mess. fact, Daniel and home earlier Dad and Mom’s attitude Eric spent all of than that day waiting to Daniel and Eric ____1____ expected for the dog to be Dad and Mom were treated , so they angry ___4___ with their children. had no time to They didn't listen to clean their house. explanation Daniel’s ____5______.
What happened after Dad and blamed Mom ___9____ Daniel and Eric.
Daniel and Eric entered their bedroom. Eric comforted Daniel, and Daniel had his arms crossed ___10____ and looked angry, thinking their parents didn’t deserve his explanation.
What kind of parents do you want to have?
? Understand love respect
1. Finish the Part D &E on Page 25 and A1 and A2 on page 94. 2. Try to write an ending to Act Two after class . 3. Act the play（act one）.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。