Unit 2 The Olympic Games Period One Warming and Reading
Step 1 Leading-in Listen to a song an d guess what purpose it is used for.
Have you ever heard of this song? What is it
(1) Pass the Flame. (2) 2004—the Athens Olympic Games. Show some pictures about “The Olympic Games”. (Emblem (会徽) Motto (口号) Torch (火炬) Mascot(吉祥物) Green Olympics The Olympic flag) Step 2 Group work for competition 1.When did the ancient Ol ympic Games started? A.1896 B. 1906 C. 776 BC Stadium (体育馆)
2. What was rewarded the winners in ancient Olympic Games? A. Medals B. Money C. Olive wreath
3. How many gold medals did China get in the 2004 Athens Olympics? A. 28 B. 32 C. 28
4. Which sport is in the Winter Olympic Games? A. Badminton B. Basketball C. Speed skating
5. How many kinds of Olympic Games are there in the world? (Two kinds) 6. What’s the motto of the Olympic Games? (Higher, swifter and stronger) 7. What’s the motto of the Athens Olympics? (Welcome home) 8. What’s the host city of the first Olympics? (Athens, Greece) 9. What’s the host city of the 2000 Olympic Games? (Sydney, Australia) The Events in the Olympics Read all the words and choose the sports in the Winter Olympic Games. (P49) badminton (羽毛球) 球 ) judo (柔道) discus throw(掷铁饼) javelin (标枪) shot-put (推铅 fencing ( 击 剑 )
hang-gliding ( 滑 翔 )
ice hockey (冰球)
weight-lifting (举重) pole jump (撑杆跳)
Step 3 Reading Look at the title and read the background information: Guess: What are they going to talk about? Task 1: skimming 1. W hat are they mainly talking about?
The similarities and differences about the ancien t Olympics and modern Olympics.
2. When he hears that women are allowed to join in, what does he say? How about his feeling, sad, surprised or happy? (surprised)
3.When he hears the Olympics are also about being able to run faster, jump higher and throw further, how does he feel, sad, surprised of happy? (happy) Task 2: scanning Items Frequency Types The an cient Olympic Games 1.Every ______years Only Summer Olympic Games The modern Olympic Games 2. Every ______ years Summer and 3. ________ Olympic Games Events Fewer 4.__________
The modern Olympic Games
________ city Places Prize Greece 9. _______________
including 7. __________ 8._____________________________ 10. _____________
Step 4 Discussion Work in pairs. What do you prepare for the 2008 Olympic Games if y ou are : a teacher / university students / worker in Beijing / driver / Tianliang / Guo Jingjing / Liu Xiang / a coach (教练) / Zhang Yimou / the mayor of Beijing ??
Step 5 Summary of the interview The Olympic Games are the biggest sports meeting in the world, which include two kinds, the ________and the ______ Olympics. Both of them are _____ every _____ ______. All countries can take part if their athletes reached the __________ t o the games. Women are not only _______ to join in but playing a very _________ role. A ______ _______ village is built for the competitors to live in, a ________ for competiti ons, a large swimming pool, a ___________ as well as seats for those
who watch the games. It’s a great _____ to host the Olympic Games. The Olive wreath ha s been _________ by medals. But it’s still about being able to run ______, jump ______ and throw _______. Step 6 Homework 1. Review the reading te xt and finish Ex. 1 & 2 (P11) 2. Prepare for next period
copyright ©right 2010-2020。