Ⅰ. 根据音标和词义写出下列单词 1. 2. ________ fortnight ( n. ) 两星期 ____ roof ( n. ) 屋顶 concept ( n. ) _______
_______ remote ( adj. ) 遥远的; 偏僻的 ________
__( n. ) 作口译的人 interpreter otherwise ( conj. ) _________ ( adv. )
用别的方法; 其他方面 特权; 特别优待
________ privilege ( n. )
Ⅲ. 词义匹配 1. hear from 2. be dying to A. 偶然遇到 B. 不久前一天
3. the other day
4. come across 5. stick out
D. ( 使浸水等之物 ) 完全变干, 干透 E. 伸出
6. participate in
7. dry out 8. dry up
G. 极想; 渴望 H. ( 指河流、井等 ) 干涸
答案: 1～8. CGBAEFDH
Ⅰ. 速读文章完成下列习题 1. What type of writing is it? _____________ A letter home. 2. Read the passage quickly and find out the main idea of it. _______________________________ Jo’s teaching life in the high school.
3. Find out the main idea of each part. Part 1 ( Para. 1 ) A. Jo and Jenny visited Tombe’s home in the village.
Part 2 ( Paras. 2，3 )
Part 3 ( Paras. 4-8 )
B. End of the letter.
C. Opening of the letter and introduction to what will be talked about in the passage. D. The school where Jo worked and Jo’s work at school.
Part 4 ( Para. 9 )
答案: Part 1～4. CDAB
Ⅱ. 细读文章并选出最佳答案 1. In a chemistry experiment the boys jumped out of the windows because they .
A. were frightened by the bubbling mixture
B. couldn’t stand the terrible smell of the mixture C. didn’t like doing chemistry experiments D. knew chemistry was not relevant to them
2. Which of the following is TRUE about Jo’s attitude? A. She is sure that all the boys will go to college in the future. B. She believes that chemistry is very useful to the boys.
C. She is wondering if she can make any difference to the boys’lives.
D. She doesn’t like the simple life in the mountain village.
3. Which of the following descriptions is NOT right about Tombe’s house? A. It was a low bamboo hut with grass sticking out of the roof.
B. It was dark and there was a fireplace in the centre of it.
C. It was round-shaped, with small windows and a narrow doorway. D. There were only a few possessions in it.
4. By writing“The only possessions I could see were. . . ”, the author wants to tell us . A. Tombe’s family were kind-hearted
B. Tombe’s family were guest-lovers
C. Tombe’s family only used simple things D. Tombe’s family were too poor
5. Why did Tombe throw out the tin can? A. Because he believed the can attracted evil spirits. B. Because he believed any leftovers attracted evil spirits.
C. Because he believed the can has no use at all.
D. Because he believed the grill attracted evil spirits. 6. How did Jo feel after the visit to Tombe’s family? A. Happy. C. Worried. B. Sad. D. Upset.
Ⅲ. 根据课文A Letter Home完成下面的短文 Jo worked at a 1. _____ bush school whose classrooms were made of electricity or water there. It took the bamboo and grass. There’s no 2. _________
students about two hours to get to the school. Jo hoped to make some
3. _________ difference to the children’s lives by teaching them. The other day, Jo 4. ______ visited Tombe’s home. When they arrived at the village, Tombe’s working in her garden, started crying“ieee mother who had been 5. ________ ieee”. Tombe’s father led them to his house, a low bamboo hut with grass 6. _______ stickingout of the roof, where he could only see a few tin plates
and cups and a couple of 7. ____. jars What they ate were sweet 8. ________, potatoes corn and greens. That night Jo and Jenny slept on a newly made 9. platform ________. They left the village the next morning after many
10. ________ goodbyes and handshakes.
【读而后思】 Why was science the most challenging subject for Jo? ____________________________________________________________ Because her students had no concept of doing experiments. And there
_________________ was no equipment.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。