Standard English and Dialects
What is a dialect?
How many dialects are there in China ?
Dialects family in China Chinese
a multi-ethnic country with 56 nationalities(民族)
colorful, brilliant culture 多彩灿烂的文化
What is the problem if people talk with different dialects?
a native of Hubei province
Dialects are so different that people from different places cannot understand each other. So we need a standard language to help people communicate with each other.
What is our standard language? Mandarin (Putonghua)
Is there standard English? Britain
English dialects in different countries
Canada Australia India New Zealand
Para. 1 : Believe it or not, there is no such thing as standard English.
Para. 2 : American English has so many dialects because people have come from all over the world.
Para. 3 : Geography also plays a part in making dialects.
1. In fact there is no so-called standard English. T
2. It is impossible for us to hear differences in the way people speak on TV and the radio. F
3. There are mainly two reasons why American
English has so many dialects. T
4. The USA has the most dialects in the world. F
5. Because many Americans speak a little bit
differently, it is difficult for them to
recognize and understand each other.
Questions & Answers
1. American English has many dialects, especially which four dialects?
2. Why does American English have so many dialects?
3. Do people from the mountains in the southeastern USA speak with almost the same dialect as people in the northeast? Why ?
1. Believe it or not, there’s no such thing as standard English.
1) believe it or not 信不信由你
Believe it or not, John cheated in the exam.
2)there is no such thing as…没有这样的…
There’s no such thing as part freedom. 不存在部分自有之说。——曼德拉 a, an置于such之后，但no, any, some, all, many 等词则置于such之前。
e.g. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I’ve heard of many such stories. One such dictionary is necessary.
2.This is because in the early days of radio, those who reported the news were expected to speak excellent English.
this is because; this is why填空
I wouldn’t like to go out; _th_i_s_i_s_b_e_c_a_u_se I’ve got a cold.
I’ve got a cold; _t_h_is__is__w_h_y__ I wouldn’t like to go out.
This/That/It is because…“这/那是因 为…”because 引导的从句表示原因。
This/That/It is why… “这/那就是…的原 因”，why 引导的从句表示结果。
… those who reported the news were expected to speak excellent English.
expect 期待, 预期, 盼望, 指望, <口>(料)想, 认为
expect sb. to do sth. expect to do sth. expect sth. expect that… be expected to do sth. 老师希望你们在上课时积极回答问题。
The teacher expects you to answer questions actively in class.
You are expected to answer questions actively in class.
3. However, even on TV and the radio you will hear differences in the way people speak.
然而, 甚至在电视上或收音机里都会听到 人们在说话时的差异。
the way后面接定语从句,句中做状语,关系 代词用that/in which或不用关系代词。 I did it in the way _th_a_t_/i_n_w__h_ic_h__/不__填__you taught me.
4. Geography also plays a part in making dialects.
play a part/role in 扮演…角色, 起…作用 1) She plays a major/leading part in the play. 2) The UN plays an important part in international
relations. play the part/role of 扮演…的角色 The famous actress played the part of a lawyer in
the TV play.
The important part that China ___ in the world has been widely accepted by other countries. A. does B. takes C. plays D. gives
5. America English has many dialects, especially the midwestern, southern, African American and Spanish dialects.
美国英语有很多方言, 尤其是在中西 部和南部地区的方言,以及非裔美国人和 西班牙人的方言。
especially adv. 特别，尤其
我喜欢游泳，尤其喜欢在大海里游泳。 I love swimming, especially in the sea.
specially adv. 专门地 I came here specially for you.
6. So people from the mountains in the southeastern USA speak with almost the same dialect as people in the northwestern USA. 因此从美国东南部山区来的人说的方言跟 美国西北部地区的人们几乎相同。
south (n/adj./adv) southern (adj.)
比较明确的划分地区 South Africa 南非 south Texas 南德克萨斯
划分不很明确的地区 比较抽象联想的南方 southern England 英国南部 a southern accent 南部口音
the same… as… 与…相同
Her hair is the same colour as her mother’s.
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
I bought the same book as you gave to her.
The houses are sold at such a low price
as people expected.
the same…as 与the same…that 引导的定语从句的区别
This is the same book as I lost. 这本书和我丢的那本一模一样。 This is the same book that I lost. 这本书就是我丢的那本。
7. The USA is a large country in which many different dialects are spoken.
8. Although many Americans move a lot, they still recognize and understand each other’s dialects.
虽然许多美国人经常搬家, 但他们 仍然能够辨认和理解彼此的方言。
vt. pick out 辨出; 认出
recognize sb to be 承认某人是
be recognized as 被公认为
(1) – Oh , it’s you , I ____ you .
A. didn’t recognize B. hadn’t recognized
B. C. haven’t recognized D. don’t recognize
(2) I have ___ him for 10 years
A. recognized B. known
B. C. remembered D. met
Steve Jobs was recognized as/ to be a genius of computer.
He finally recognized that he had made a foolish mistake.接受、明白、承认（事实或情况）
标准英语和方言 没有如此的事 在…的早期/初期 期待某人做某事 相邻城镇 扮演一个角色 改正拼写错误 从一地到另一地 口头表达 辨认某人的口音 不假思索 精通西班牙语
standard English and dialects there is no such thing as in the early days of expect sb. to do sth. neighboring towns play a part/role in correct one’s spelling mistakes move from one place to another oral expression recognize one’s accent
without a second thought have a good command of Spanish
? 请等一会 ? 吵闹 ? 做笔记 ? 做鬼脸 ? 惹麻烦 ? 取得进步
? Please hold on for a minute. ? make a noise/ make noises ? make notes ? make a face ? make trouble ? make progress
Thanks for listening !
copyright ©right 2010-2020。