1. It shows a volcano erupting. erupt. vi ( 指火山，战争，危机，问题等） 爆发；突然发生 足球赛后城里发生了暴力事件。 Violence erupted in the city after the football match. eruption . n eruptive adj. in eruption 在喷发中
explode 爆炸 burst 爆炸，炸开 erupt 爆发 a volcano erupting 是一个动名词的复合结 构， 在此作shows的宾语，其中a volcano 是动名 词erupting 逻辑上的主语。 I don’t understand his / him behaving like that. 我不明白他有那种行为。
2. Share your knowledge with others in your class. share. vt. 分享，分配，分摊 ； 共有， 共用; 有同样的感情（或想法,经历等） Sue shares a house with three other students . We shared the pizza between the four of us. Men often don’t like to share their problems. Both drivers shared the blame for the accident. share. n 一部分；一定量，一份，股份 the lion’s share 最大，（或最好）的一份
3. Yet, however weak we are, we are not completely powerless. yet. 在此是连词，作“但是，然而” （but, however) I have slept eight full hours, yet I’m still sleepy. 我睡了足足8个小时了，可还是想睡。
并列连词but 不可与从属连词though/ although 同时出现，而yet 作为副词，可 与though /although 同时出现 ---Have you been to New Zealand ? --- No, I’d like to, _______. A, too B. though C. yet D. either though 可用作副词，意为“然而，但 是”, 需置于 句末，而yet 应置于句首。
4. Can you imagine climb into a live volcano in order to take the temperature of the boiling rock inside. live. adj. live animals. 活的 live coverage of the World Cup 世界杯的实况转播
live coals 燃烧着的煤块 Pollution is still very much a live issue. 污染仍然是目前非常让人关注的问题 （目前所关心的，时下重大的）
living , lively, alive, lovely, live 的区别：
live , 活的, 现场直播的
take the temperature of sb. take sb’s temperature, 测量某人的体温 have /run a temperature 发烧 （=have / run a fever）
5. Do you like adventure in your life? adventure. n. 奇遇，冒险（活动） adj. adventurous vt. 拿….冒险；大胆进行；大胆表示 She is so shy a girl that she never __________ adventures an opinion in public.
adventure 使人心振奋，寻求刺激的冒险 Boys like adventure. 男孩子喜欢冒险
6. I am never bored. bore. vt 使感到厌烦 bore. n 令人讨厌的人或事物 bored. adj. 感到厌烦的 boring adj. 令人厌烦的 Mr. Smith, ______ bored of the ______ boring speech, started to read a novel. There was a ______ bored expression on his face. The speech was so ______ boring that I fell asleep while listening.
7. …, because danger excites me and makes me feel alive. excite. vt. 使兴奋； 使激动
-- Are you still thinking about yesterday’s game? -- Oh, that’s ________. A. what makes me feel excited. B. whatever I feel excited about C. how I feel excited D. when I feel excited.
改错： Much to our excitements, excitement our team won the game again
excited look on his face suggested that The exciting he was much excited at the exciting news.
Excitingly Excitedly, my best friend Peter has come out first in the contest.
8. However, the most important thing about my job is that I help to protect people from one of the … that I help to … 这是that 引导的表语从句， 在从句中， that 不作成分。 That ____ the young man works very hard is what _____the manager appreciates him for.
however. 不管怎样，无论什么程度，然而， 不过 instead. 代替，反而，却，相反 therefore 因此，所以，因而 thus . 如此，这样，因而，从而 yet. 还，尚未（否定句）， 然而，尽管
however, therefore, instead, thus, yet
1. At his age, he is supposed to study hard at school. _______ instead he spends most of his time in the net bar. 2. There is still much to discuss. We shall, _________, therefore return to this item at our next meeting. yet 3. Although he didn’t attend the meeting, ____ he knows everything about it.
4. We thought the figures were correct. ________, However we have discovered some errors. 5. He’s only 17 and ____________ thus/ therefore not eligible to vote.
thus/ therefore 6. He is the eldest son and _____________ heir to the title.
9. Having collected and evaluated the information, I help other scientists to predict where lava from the volcano will flow next and how fast it will flow. “ Having … information” 用现在分词的完成 式，在句中作时间状语，表明该动作发生在主 句动作之前。 我不想继续求学，便决定当一个服装设计师。 Not wishing to continue my studies, I decided to become a dress designer.
由于没有收到回音，他决定再写一封信。 Not having received a reply, he decided to write again. evaluate v. 评估；评价；估计 我没有看到他的工作情况，无法评价他的 能力。 I can’t evaluate his ability without seeing his work. It’s hard to evaluate her as a singer.
10. Unfortunately, we can’t move their homes out of the way and many houses have been covered with lava or burned to the ground. unfortunate. adj. 不幸的，倒霉的
归纳拓展： unfortunate. adj. 不合适的；不恰当的；令人遗憾的 unfortunately. adv. 遗憾地，不幸地 fortunate adj. 交好运的，带来好运的；幸运的 fortune. n. 机会；运气；命运；财产 make a fortune 发财 try one’s fortune 外出找出路
He went to the west and _____ a fortune soon by selling cars. A.received C. made B. found D. searched
burn to the ground 全部焚毁 这所房子已焚为平地。 The house was burnt to the ground. burn down ( burn to the ground ) 烧毁，烧平 burn up 烧掉，烧毁 burn out 烧光，烧尽
When boiling rock erupts from the volcano and crashes back to earth, it causes less damage than you might imagine.
This is because no one lives near the top of Mount Kilauea where the rock fall. 这是因为在熔岩降落的基拉维厄山顶附近无人居 住。 The lava that flows slowly down the mountain causes far more damage because it buries everything in its path underthe molten rock.
11. I was fast asleep when suddenly my bed began shaking and I heard a strange sound.
表语形容词 asleep 意义 睡着的 其修饰词 fast, sound, dead
12. Having experienced quite a few earthquakes in Hawaii already. quite a few (口语）相当多的 (= not a few) Not a few people have made that mistake. 很多人犯过这种错误。
a few 几个 ( 表示肯定意义） only a few 仅少数的，只有几个 以上短语皆修饰复数名词，修饰不可数 的有： not a little 相当多的 quite a little only a little 只有一点点
13. I was about to go back to sleep when suddenly my bedroom became as bright as day.
was about to + when 这时，突然 was doing sth.
他正要离开，突然电话响了。 He was about to leave when the telephone rang. 史密斯一家正在看电视，这时外面有人喊“救 火”。 The Smiths were watching TV when someone called “ fire” outside.
14. in the distance 在远处；在遥远的地方 at a distance 以一定距离 在稍远处 fountain. 是人造喷泉, 而指天然喷泉时则用spring. A group of children are playing in the fountain in the park. 一群孩子在公园的喷泉中玩耍。 An encyclopedia is fountain of knowledge. 百科全书式知识的源泉。
15. It was an absolutely fantastic sight. *absolute. 绝对的，完全的 我认为他们那样对待那个孩子绝对不光 彩( disgrace )。 I think it’s an absolute disgrace the way they treat that child.
* absolute 还意为“确实的”，“的确如此” 的，“无疑的”,”独立的” absolute truth 事实真相 absolute alcohol 无水酒精 It’s an absolute fact.这是千真万确的事。 absolutely. adv. 绝对，完全地， 常用于回答 问题或用作评语 -- Do you agree with me? -- Absolutely. 你同意我的意见吗？ 完全同意
fantastic. adj. ( 口语）极好的，很棒 的；奇异的，古怪的；异想天开的； 难以置信的 You have passed your test? ______!
海湾的夜景更美。 The night view of the bay is even more fantastic. insects of fantastic shapes 奇型怪状的昆虫 a fantastic plan 不切实际的计划 fantastically adv. 难以置信地；奇异地；极好地 fantasize v. 想象；幻想 fantasy n. 想象；幻想， 幻想出来的东西
16. It wasn’t very easy to walk in these suits, but we slowly made our way to the edge of the crater and looked down into the crater. make one’s way( to) . 前进，前往，获得成功； 发迹 我们顺着山坡往下朝城里行进。 We made our way down the hill towards the town. Henderson began to make his way in politics. 亨德森逐渐在政治界有所建树。
make way ( for) 让路；让出位置
fight one’s way 奋勇前进
lose one’s way 迷路
go one’s way 走自己的路
feel one’s way 摸索前进
make its way 有利可图
make the best of one’s way 尽快走
push one’s way 挤过
find a way out 找出出路
find one’s way找到路；设法达到
out of the way 不挡道；不碍事
in the way 挡道的；妨碍人的
In a way 在某点上；在某种程度上
17. potential. un. 潜在性；可能性；潜能
He is a young singer with great potential.
the potentials of the technology
copyright ©right 2010-2020。