Nowadays with the development of media, lots of information can be received by people all over the world soon everyday. And people can learn about news at home and abroad by watching TV, listening to radio, surfing the Internet, reading magazines and newspapers etc. Among these media, newspaper is one of the oldest.
1. Do you want to get some information everyday? How can you get the information? There are so many ways to get information, but reading newspapers is one of theoldest.
2. Can you guess how complex it is to make news? This class we’ll learn a passage about how to make news. Let’s come to the passage.
Read the text and try to get the main idea of it.
The passage tells us the process of writing and printing for a newspaper article.
Work out the writing and printing process of an article. And complete the chart in Ex1 on page 30.
1. You go to an
→ interview to get the
information for your story.
2. You do some research to see if the story is true or not.
4. You give the article to a senior editor to check and a copy-editor to do editing.
3. You begin to
← write the story using notes from the interview.
5. The article is
6. The article is checked
given to a native
/approved by the chief
→ speaker to check the
use of English and
improve the style.
8. The first edition of the newspaper is printed.
7. All the stories and
← photos are set and the color negatives for the printing are made ready.
1. edition 版本,书报等一次发行总数 <归纳拓展> editor n.编辑
edit v. 编辑,剪辑 edit sth. out of (sth.) 删除
2. department (政府, 企业, 商店, 大学等的)部,司,局, 处, 科, 部门, 系 The Education Department The sales department
3. task 任务 a piece of (esp. hard or unpleasant) work that has to be done. 必须要做的工作(尤指困难或讨厌的); Learning English well is a difficult task. 学好英语是一项艰难的任务。
4. accurate adj.正确无误的,精确的,准确的 <归纳拓展> accuracy n. 准确, 精确 precise adj. 精确的, 独特的, 精细的 exact adj. 正确的, 准确的, 严谨的, 精密的 accurately adv. 精确, 准确 correct adj. 正确的, 准确
1) _A_c_c_u_r_a_te_ statistics, measurements, calculations, are very important.
2) It’s impossible to say with any _a_cc_u_r_a_c_y_ how many are affected.
3) This is the c_o_r_r_e_c_t dress for a formal dinner.
4) The e_x_a_c_t time is three minutes and thirty-five seconds.
5) They both came here at e_x_a_c_t_ly_ the same time.
6) He is _p_re_c_i_s_e in everything. 7) The diagram had been copied with
great p__re_c_i_s_io_n_. 8) He is a man with a p_r_e_c_i_se_ mind.
5. senior adj.年长的, (级别、职位、 资格)较高的, 高年级的(作定语) seniorn.年较长的人, 毕业班或高年 级的学生
junioradj.较幼的, 较小的 superioradj. 较高的, 优越的, 优良的, 不屈服的
注意:本身都是比较级形式,无须再添加 more 或-er; 这三个词用于比较级中 不与 than 连用,而与 to 连用。
1) He is not superior to temptation. 他经不住诱惑。
2) This engine is superior in many aspects. 这台发动机在很多方面性能都非常优 越。
3) He is two years senior to me. 他比我大两岁。
4) I will have to ask my superior. 那事我得先问一下我们公司老板。
5) He is wearing a superior smile. 他脸上带有高傲的微笑。
7. polish a. ..(sth) (up) (with sth) 磨光，擦亮 … (up) furniture/shoes with a cloth用 布把家具/鞋擦亮 b. (比喻)修正，修改，修饰(某事物)
… a speech/ an article 给讲稿/文章润色
9. approve v.赞成,认可,满意,批准,通过 approval n.赞成、同意、认可 on approval
(指货物)不满意可以退换的 approving adj. 赞许的、认可的 approved school 少年罪犯教养院(感化院)
1) You can join the class if your mother approves. 你可以参加这个班,如果你母亲同意的 话。
2) You made a good decision, and I thoroughly approve it. 你作出了一个好决定, 我不折不扣(衷 心)地表示赞同。
3) She received many approving glances. 她赢得了很多赞许的目光。
4) I don’t approve of smoking in bed. 我不赞成躺在床上吸烟。
10. process 步骤，程序，过程 Reforming the education system will be a difficult process. 教育制度的改革将是一个艰苦的过程。
11. appointment n.任命, 委派, 工作, 职位, 约会, 预约
appoint v. 任命, 委派确定或决定某事物 appoint that sth. (shall be done)命令某事 take an appointment 就职 by appointment 按照约定 keep/ break ones appointment守/违约 make/ fix an appointment with与某人约会
12. When do you think is convenient for you?
句中do you think 作插入语，英语中do you think / suppose / believe/ imagine 等和疑问代词或疑问副词连 用时, 常把疑问代(副)词置于句首, 而把do you think置于句中。
提示: do you think 置于句中,句子的 语序应该为正常语序, 不再使用倒装 语序; 这类结构也可以用于定语从句 里作为插入语。
(1) What do you think _______?
A. is he interested in B. interested he
√ C. he is interested in D. does he interest
(2) Who do you think _____?
√ A. broke the window
B. of breaking the window
C. to break the window
D. did he break the window
I. 用括号内所给词的适当形式填空。 1. The textbook was first published in
2004 and is now in its second _e_d_it_i_o_n (edit). 2. You should phone his secretary if you want to make an _a_p_p_o_i_n_tm__e_n_t (appoint).
II. 根据括号内所给的提示将下列句子 翻译成英语。
1. 我们的老师强调我们应该注意书写。 (note) Our teacher noted that we should pay attention to our handwriting.
2. 我父亲赞成我去西部。(approve of) My father approved of my going to the west.
3. 必须保存准确的记录。(accurate) Accurate records must be kept.
III. 汉译英或英译汉。 1. 主编 chief editor 2. 独家新闻 scoop 3. 新闻文字编辑 news desk editor 4. 国际新闻编辑部
International News Department
5. front page article 头版新闻
6. main heading 主标题
7. film negatives 8. copy-editor
Read the passage on Page 65 and try to find out the main idea of it.
Main idea: The passage tells us what a primary source and a secondary source are and the difference between them.
A primary source needs to have two thing:
1 being there on spot 2 witnessing the happening of the event
Read the passage “Searching for the Truth” on page 65 and determine whether the statement are true or false.
1. When we read about Jia Sixie in our textbook we are reading a primary source. F
2. As we watch the news on TV, the person presenting the programme in
the studio is the secondary source. T
3. Photographers sometimes are both primary and secondary sources. F
4. Knowing the difference of primary and secondary sources can help us decide what is a fact and what is an opinion. T
5. Often facts and opinions are mixed in any report. T
A primary source depend on:
The person who has written the news should be there at the time.
Tips Primary sources and secondary
sources are very important for finding out the truth. The closer a person is to the event they describe in time or geographically, the more likely they are to be accurate.
1. Ask the students to interview a student of Senior Grade three and write a report about their present study and life.
2. Report a thing recently happened in your neighborhood or in the local area.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。