1. I’m afraid it’ll cost a large amount of money. 恐怕这得花费一大笔钱。 [寓词于境] 阅读下列句子，注意amount的 词性、意思及用法。 1) They spent equal amounts of time in California and New York. 2) A large amount of money is spent on advertisements every year. 3) Large amounts of money were spent on the bridge.
1) They spent equal amounts of time in California and New York. 2) A large amount of money is spent on advertisements every year. 3) Large amounts of money were spent on the bridge.
[自我归纳] amount用作名词，意为“数量” “a large amount of (许多)+不可数名词” 单数 作主语时，谓语动词要用 _____形式， “large amounts of (许多)+不可数名词” 复数 _____形式。 作主语时，谓语动词要用
[拓展] 表示“许多，大量”的短语如下： (1) 一般只用来修饰可数名词复数形式的 有：a great / good many, a great / large / good number of, quite a few等。 (2) 一般只用来修饰不可数名词的有: quite a little, a great deal of, a large amount of, large amounts of等。
(3) 既可用来修饰可数名词复数形式，又可 用来修饰不可数名词的有：plenty of, a lot of, lots of, a mass of, masses of等，这 时谓语动词的单复数形式取决于它们后 面所接的名词的形式。 (4) a large quantity of和large quantities of后 既可接可数名词复数形式，又可接不可 数名词，这时谓语动词的单复数形式要 由quantity的单复数形式来决定。
[即学即练] 从括号内选择适当的词填空。 1. It’s reported that a good amount of money _____ was (was / were) spent to prevent and control desertification (荒漠化). 2. A large number of houses _____ were (was / were) destroyed in the earthquake. 3. I think that large amounts of time _____ are (is / are) wasted in watching TV series. 4. A large quantity of flowers _____ has (has / have) been planted in our school.
2. Well, we’ll have to take a chance. 我们得冒点风险。 take a / the / chance / chances 碰运气；冒风险 e.g. We decided to take a chance on the weather and have the party outdoors. 我们决定与老天爷赌一把，在户外聚会。 ___________________________________ We mustn’t take chances. We’d better play safe. 我们不要冒险，我们最好求稳。 ___________________________________
3. in a rude manner manner表“方式，方法”, “举止，态度” “礼貌，礼仪”。 1) We walked in a leisurely manner, looking in all the windows. 2) I don’t like to talk with him; he has a very rude manner. 3) I forgot to say good-bye. They’ll think I have no manners at all.
1) We walked in a leisurely manner, looking in all the windows. 2) I don’t like to talk with him; he has a very rude manner. 3) I forgot to say good-bye. They’ll think I have no manners at all.
[自我归纳] manner n. 意为“方式，方法；举 单数 止，态度”时，一般使用 _____形式，如句1、 句2；意为“礼貌，礼仪”时，一般用复数形 式，如句3。 [拓展] have good manners 有礼貌 have no / bad manners 没礼貌 It’s bad manners to ... ……是没有礼貌的
4. the hostess screams, …. scream vi. 尖叫 e.g. She screamed when she saw the tiger last night. 5. Do you think it’s genuine? 你看这张钞票是真的吗？ genuine adj. 1) real, not fake or artificial 真的，非伪造的，非人工的 a genuine pearl a genuine note
2) sincere, honest 真诚的，真实的 e.g. She seems genuine but I can’t trust her.
real, true与 genuine的区别 real作“实在的，真的”解，指客观存 在 的，而不是想象的或幻觉的东西。
e.g. That is a real dog not a toy.
true“真实的，正确的”，指事实，现实， 事物与实际情况相符，是合乎道理的， 而不是杜撰或错误的。反义词是 false。 e.g. This story is true to history. genuine由gene (基因)转化而来，因而真 正含义为“纯种的，地道的，正宗的”。
______ True friendship lasts forever. It’s a _____ real pity that we have to give up the chance.
His action was praised by all the people,
and they said he was a genuine _______ Chinese.
6. Indeed, sir, I hope you’ll come here whenever you like. 先生，真的，我希望您随时光临。 indeed 1) in fact 事实上，其实 e.g. I don’t mind. Indeed, I am willing to help you. 2) truly, really, certainly的确, 实在的, 确实 e.g. —Did he finish the work? —Indeed, he did.
7. As for the bill, sir, please forget it. 至于账单嘛，先生，请把它忘了吧。 as for至于, 关于 e.g. You can have a bed, but as for the children, they will have to sleep on the floor.
8. Well, it is well-known that Americans like to eat a lot. 嗯，许多美国人喜欢吃得多，这是大家都 知道的。 [点拨] 此句是一个主从复合句。主句为it is well-known；从句为that引导的主语从 句，即that Americans like to eat a lot。
如： It is certain that she will do well in her exam. 毫无疑问她考试成绩会很好。 It is probable that he told her everything. 很可能他把一切都告诉她了。
翻译下列句子。 1) 据说格林先生是由他的祖父母抚养成 人的。 It is said that Mr. Green was brought up by his grandparents. 2) 很遗憾她父亲不让她跟我们一起去。 It’s a pity that her father didn’t permit her to go with us. 3) 她是否来无关紧要。 It doesn’t matter whether she will come or not.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。