What do you think the article is about by reading this headline?
The story is about a young man who sets us a good example because he could save one’s life using his knowledge of first aid.
Look at the form of the article. Where can you most probably read this passage?
A. a novel B.B. a research paper C.C. a student’s composition D.D. a newspaper report
Read the headline and the first paragraph.
Read the headline and the lead, then answer
The story is about a young man John Janson 1) Who? teenager _________________________________ who sets us a good example honored at the Lifesaver Awards 2) What? _________________________________ because he could save one’s Rivertown 3) Where? in _________________________________ life using his knowledge of first night 4) When? last __________________________________ aid. giving first aid on a neighbor after 5) Why? for __________________________________ a shocking knife attack ______________________
the following questions.
1. Read the article carefully and then
put these events in the order.
__ 4 The attacker ran away. __ 2 Anne was attacked and started to scream. __ 6 John performed first aid on Anne. __ 1 John was studying in his house. 7 The ambulance arrived. __ __ 3 John ran outside with his father. __ 5 John found Anne in her garden with terrible knife wounds.
2. What adjectives would you use to describe John’s actions? Give at least three. confident fearless unselfish brave heroic
3. Answer the questions.
1. What was John honoured for? 2. What did John do when he heard the screaming? 3. What happened to Anne? 4. What saved Ms Slade’s life? 5. What first aid did John perform on Anne? 6. What adjectives would you use to describe
John’s actions? Give at least three.
1. What was John honoured for? He was honoured for giving lifesaving
first aid on his neighbour after a
shocking knife attack. 2. What did John do when he heard the screaming? He rushed outside.
3. What happened to Anne? She had been stabbed repeatedly with a knife and was bleeding heavily. Her hands had almost been cut off. 4. What saved Ms Slade’s life? John’s quick action and knowledge of first aid saved her life.
5. What first aid did John perform on Anne? He used some tea towels and tape to treat the most severe injuries to Anne’s hands. He slowed the bleeding by applying pressure to the wounds until the police
and ambulance arrived.
6. What adjectives would you use to describe John’s actions? Give at least three.
brave, quick-thinking, helpful, heroic,
courageous, unselfish, fearless, confident
1. Do you think John was silly or brave to get involved in the situation? Give reasons. 2. Would you have done the same as John? Give reasons.
3. Do you think it is worthwhile to take a course in first aid? Give reasons.
Fill in the Blanks. screaming Last night, John heard ___________ and _______ rushed outside. His neighbor Anne bleeding had been stabbed _______. She was _________ heavily. John and his father asked for _________, bandages put their hands on but nobody could ____ ____ ______ ___ them. They got some tea ______ towels and
tape from their house. _____ John used these to ______ dress the most severe injuries and _______ slowed the applying _________ pressure to the bleeding by ________ quick _______ action wounds. It was John’s ______ knowledge of first aid that and ____________ saved Anne’s life.
Why is first aid important in our daily life?
Because seconds count in an emergency,
and knowing what to do can mean the
difference between life and death.
What’s the most important thing to remember when dealing with an emergency?
To stay calm and not
to be panic.
What do the letters “DR ABC” stand for?
“D” stands for “Danger”;
“R” stands for
“A” stands for “Airway”; “B” stands for “Breathing”; “C” stands for
How do we do the first aid correctly?
To give first aid correctly, you can use the letters “DR ABC” to help you remember the things you need to do.
First we should make sure that the accident scene is no longer dangerous. Then we can ask the person simple questions to see if he/she is conscious and can breathe.
We must make sure the person’s airway is open and it’s easy to breathe by gently tipping the person’s head back slightly. If the person is not breathing, we must try to start his/her breathing at once within five minutes, or he/she may die.
At last, we can look for colour, coughing and eye movement to see if the person’s blood is circulating.
We can also put a finger on the person’s wrist or neck to check his/her pulse. If the person is bleeding, we should cover the wound with a clean piece of cloth and press on the wound to stop the
1 在救生员颁奖大 会 2 在颁奖大会 3 对某人实施急救 4 紧急抢救 5 骇人听闻的持刀 杀人
at the Lifesaver Awards at a ceremony give first aid on sb. lifesaving first aid
a shocking knife attack
put one’s hands on = arm/ leg … apply pressure to the wound
findinjury to the hand/ 7 手上的伤口 the 8 按住伤口
9 敏捷的思维 quick thinking 10 产生差别 make a difference
1. John was studying in his room when he heard 1. 约翰正在房里学习，突然听到一声尖叫。 screaming. 2.2. She was lying in her front garden bleeding very 她躺在前花园的地上，流血不止。 heavily. 3. 正是约翰快捷的动作和急救知识救了斯莱德 3.女士的命。 It was John’s quick action and knowledge of first aid that saved Ms Slade ’ s life. 4. 他使劲地按住伤口，使血流得慢些，一直等 4.到警察和救护车的到来。 He slowed the bleeding by applying pressure to the wounds until the police and ambulance arrived. 5. 我为自己所做的事感到自豪，不过，我所做 5. I’m proud of what I did but I was just doing what 的都是以前别人教会我做的事。 I’ d been taught. 萨瑟顿先生在向约翰表示祝贺时说： 毫无 6. 6. When congratulating John, Mr. Alan said, “ “ There is 疑问，是约翰敏捷的思维和在学校学到的急救 no doubt that John’s quick thinking and the first 技术，挽救了斯莱德女士的生命。 aid he learned at school saved Ms Slade’s life. 7. 7. It 去上急救课很值得。 is worthwhile to take a course in first aid.
1. John was presented with his award at a
ceremony which recognized the
bravery of ten people who had saved
the life of another. be presented with sth = be given with sth which 引导一个定语从句。
present 1) vt. 赠送；颁发；提出；呈现 ~ sth to sb/~sb with sth 2) adj.在场的；出席的；目前的 3) n.礼物；现在；目前(at present)
At present, the girl present at the party is considering asking her father for the prize that just has been presented to him as her birthday present. 现在，参加宴会的那个女孩正考虑向她父亲要那 个刚颁发给他的奖品作为礼物。
ceremony n. (C)典礼；仪式
(U)礼节；礼仪；客套 e.g. The wedding ceremony was beautiful. There is no need for ceremony between us.
stand on ceremony 拘泥礼节；讲究客套
e.g. The head of state was welcomed with
What the old headmaster said at the
graduation ceremony dwells in my mind.
2. John was studying in his room when he heard screaming. when在此为并列连词，表示“这时（突然）” 常用句型： 1) Sb. had just done sth. when… （when 从句一 般用一般过去时） 某人刚做完某事，这时（突然）。。。 翻译：他刚上床睡觉，这时电话铃响了。 He had just gone to bed when the telephone rang.
2) Sb. was doing sth. when… 某人正在做某事，这时（突然）。。。 翻译：我正在吃饭，这时我听到有人叫我的名字 。 I was having dinner when I heard my name called. 3) Sb. was about to do sth. when… 某人正要做某事，这时（突然）。。。 翻译：我正要出去，这时电话铃响了。 I was about to leave, when the telephone rang.
4) Sb. was on the point of doing sth. when… 某人正要做某事，这时（突然）。。。 翻译：我正要出去，这时电话铃响了。 I was on the point of going out when the telephone rang.
3. It was John’s quick action and knowledge of first aid that saved Ms Slade’s life. 该句为强调句型，强调了主语“John’s quick action and knowledge of first aid ” 1) 强调句型： It is/was+被强调部分+that/who +其他 2) 强调成分： 主语、宾语、宾补和大部分状语 3) 强调句的一般疑问句： Is/Was it+被强调部分+that/who+其他？
4) 强调句的特殊疑问式： 特殊疑问词+is/was it that…? 5) 对not until 的强调 It is/was not until…+that… 6) 强调从句 It was because it was raining hard that I got home late.
把it is/was 和 that/who去掉，重新排列一下句 子的顺序，如果句子仍是完整的且合乎逻辑， 则该句为强调句型。 It is clear that not all boys like playing football. It was on the farm that I met Mary yesterday. It was the farm where I met Mary yesterday.
4. He immediately asked a number of nearby people for bandages, but … 他立即向旁边的一些人要绷带，但 …… a number of + 可数名词，谓语用复数， 意为“许多、大量的……”， the number of + 可数名词，谓语用单
① A number of problems have arisen． 已经出现了许多问题。 ② The number of colleges has increased in the past 10 years. 在过去的十年里，大学的数量有所增加。
5. John used these to treat the most severe injuries to Ms Slade’s hands.
treat v. 处理；治疗；对待；款待 因。。。而接受治疗 be ~ed for ~ sb well/badly 对某人好/不好 ~ … as… 把。。。当作。。。 ~ sb/oneself to sth 用。。。款待某人 treat n. 招待；款待 由某人请客 be one’s treat It’s my treat. 我请客。
7. 6. apply 申请，请求；使用，应用 e.g. We should apply both theories in the language classroom. 我们应把两种理论都运用到语言教室中去 。
apply to + 部门, 组织 ,敷 人 把… /涂在…上；把…应用于… apply sth. to sth. 申请做某事 apply to do sth.
apply oneself / sth. to sth.
e.g. He applied himself to learning French. 他致力于学习法语。 We must apply our minds to finding a solution. 我们要动动脑筋找出解决的办法来。
apply for sth. 申请 apply for a job /post / passport / visa 申请工作 / 职位 / 护照 / 签证 e.g. He has applied for a post in England. 他已申请在英国供职。 apply to sth. 适用 e.g. This rule can not apply to every case. 这条规则并不是在每种情况下都能适 用的。
7. There is no doubt that John’s quick thinking and the first aid skills he learned at school saved Ms Slade’s life. There is no/little doubt that…
毫无疑问。。。 There is (some) doubt whether/if… 不确定是否。。。 I doubt if/whether… 我怀疑是否。。。 I don’t doubt that… 我确信。。。
I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示，写出该单词的正确形式。 1. Medical experts will train doctors to 2. treat t______ the disease. 2. Don’t put so much p________ on the pressure table; it’s going to shake and break under your weight.
3. The policeman showed great b_______ bravery in the face of danger. 4. We called the police and ___________ ambulance (救护车) but it was a long time before they arrived. 5. The two families are busy today preparing for the wedding ___________ ceremony (仪式) tomorrow.
II. 用适当的介词填空。 1. We attended a dinner party hosted 2. by _____ the president of the company. 2. Mark performed an operation ________ on / for Daisy’s ankle yesterday. 3. Thank you ____ for giving me the address. I’ll write off at once. 4. Ruth is looking forward to taking a of / around England. tour ___________
5. They found that everything was taken away ______ their house. from 6. We are proud ____ what you have of achieved in your study. 7. What problems should I watch out ____ when buying an old house? for 8. I don’t want to get involved ___ in some lengthy argument about who is to blame.
III. 用方框内所给短语的适当形式填空。 make a difference take part in put one’s hands on apply for
a number of
1. I know their address is here
2. somewhere, but I can’ t my hands on put
______________ it right now.
2. To repair this cupboard, you will need _____________ specific tools. a number of 3. Everyone has his special skills and interests, and only by discovering them can he truly _________________. make a difference 4. Only this year’s graduates are allowed to apply for __________ the most popular subjects for a Master’s degree. take part in 5. People who ____________ this sport are likely to get injured.
IV. 根据所给提示将下列句子翻译成英语。 1. 因为干旱, 我们的水供应已经被切断一个 月了。 (cut off) _________________________________ Our water supply has been cut off for a _________________________________ month because of draught. 2. 我正要去看你，这时碰到了乔治。 (when) I was just coming to see you when I ran __________________________________ into George. ________________
3. 毫无疑问，吸烟会严重损害我们的健 康。(There is no doubt that ...) ________________________________ There is no doubt that smoking can ________________________________ seriously damage our health. 4. 我们急需一些绷带, 你能找到一些吗? (put one’s hands on) We are in great need of some bandages. ________________________________
Could you put your hands on some? ________________________________
copyright ©right 2010-2020。